Student Voice


December 4, 2023



Men's hockey opens season with back-to-back wins

November 14, 2014

The temperature drops, rain turns to snow, and ice covers the sidewalk, but it doesn't faze the men's hockey team as they are heating up the rink.

The men's hockey team opened the season against the Concordia-Moorhead College Cobbers on the road on Thursday, Nov. 6. The Falcons started out hot against the Cobbers with Cory Lushanko getting the only goal of the first period assisted by Mike Fazio and Mike Williams.

The second period was even hotter as both teams found where the net was and how to put the puck into it.

Andrew Deters tied up the game with his goal for the Cobbers 10:05 into the second period with an assist from Jordie Bancroft. Captain Alex Murphy was able to answer with his first goal of the night at 10:46 in the second period with an assist from Terry Leabo and Ryan Doner.

The Cobbers were able to tie the score at two with a goal from Jon Grebosky assisted by Jeremy Johnson and Sam Coborn at the 15-minute mark.

Murphy was able to give the Falcons the lead back at 16:20 in the first period. Right before the end of the second period Grebosky was able to find the net a second time to help the Cobbers tie with an assist from Coborn and Jordan Christianson.

The third period was similar to the first period with only one goal.

Alex Murphy completed his first collegiate hat-trick on the power play with an assist from Mike Dietrich and Leabo to give the Falcons the 4-3 win on the road.

"That was my first collegiate hat-trick so it was pretty cool and defiantly an honor to do it in a Falcon jersey," Murphy said.

The Falcons are now 12-1 all-time against Concordia-Moorhead.

"It was kind of typical what I would think a first game would be. We were pretty apprehensive and sloppy in the first period and we snuck out of there," said Head Coach Steve Freeman. "We had a 1-0 lead after the period but we should have been down because we didn't play very well. But, we got stronger as the game went on and our skill level really came to view on the power play."

The Cobbers out-shot the Falcons 31-24 on the night. Goalie Tanner Milliron finished with 28 saves. Doner led UWRF with four shots on goal.

The Falcons then faced Hamline on the road on Saturday, Nov. 8 in its second game of the season.

Christian George had the first goal of the night at 5:00 in the first period with an assist from Doner giving the Falcons a 1-0 lead. Brandon Reinholz got the goal for the Pipers to tie up the game at 5:39 in the first period on the power play with an assist from Jonny Gehrt.

Jeff Bergh got the lead back for the Falcons with a goal on a power play at 19:39 in the first period with an assist Taylor Burden and Mitch Kontny.

The second period went by scoreless for both teams and the Falcons had the 2-1 lead going into the third period.

Hamline's Reinholz got his second goal of the game at 5:30 in the third period on another power play with an assist from Charlie Adams and Gehrt.

Doner got the Falcons the lead with his first goal of the game on a power play at 7:37 with an assist by Kyle Gattelaro and George. George got his second goal of the game to extend the Falcons lead at 11:37. Murphy got a goal on a power play to seal the Falcons win with an assist by Leabo and Burden.

"We played very well," Freeman said. UWRF out-shot the Pipers 33-26. Milliron made 24 saves. George led the Falcons with six shots on goal.

"After we watched the tape we noticed we need to play a more physical game, we stickchecked and things a little bit, so we got on the body early and I think that turned the tide a little bit over there," Freeman said.

The Falcons are now 19-3-1 all time against Hamline.

According to WIAC Assistant Commissioner of Media Relations Matt Stanek, Murphy has been named WIAC Player of the Week.

The Falcons are 2-0 on the season The Falcons play Bethel University on Friday, Nov. 14 in Blaine, Minnesota. They are 15-5-1 all time against Bethel.